Burry Stander Legend

, , No Comments




Early in 2013 South Africa was robbed of one of their young mountain bike riders Burry Stander by a minibus taxi that veered of the road. I don’t want too much time on the horrible event.

This week we have UCI Mountain Bike Masters World Championships in Pietermaritzburg and next week UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships. In typical South African culture they have named the masters event Burry Legend race.




I always thought downhill racing was a young man’s sport and only for the very brave. I got a big shock when I saw the masters entry list, the oldest racer is in the 70+ category and there must be more than ten in the 65-69 category.
I don’t know all the courses that they ride in the world championship, but I know parts of the track that they are racing in Pietermaritzburg and I can tell you it’s not only a bone breaker, it’s got a fierce reputation to be a bike breaker. I have seen bike invented and others with lots of modifications just to survive this route. 






I wish all the Maters racing in the Burry Legend the best of luck and I hope they enjoy it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment