Problems with Dust

, ,


We have to battle the elements a lot of time when we work on location. Dust is one of my biggest problems, it gets in everywhere followed closely by water, mud and sand. Sometimes people will look at my bag and wonder why I have three camera bodies in there? The answer is dust. You can’t dare change a lens in the dust and I need more than one lens a lot of the time on a shoot. I always try to make a plan. The easiest usually is to use a zoom lens and try to stay out of trouble like it did on the shot above.
 But sometimes you just have to get in closer. Then I cover my camera and lens with a plastic bag. I try to hide my camera under a jacket and take it out the moment I shoot and then duck it under the jacket very quickly. This method works most of the time. In these images you also have to be aware of where the racing cars are, not only for dust but for your own personal safety.







Unfortunately this method doesn't work that well, to get some of the shots.  I had to get really close and low to shoot the shot below. I did get splashed with the mud. I’m still not sure what took the longest: to clean my camera and lens or to get myself cleaned up. I just can remember I used a high pressure cleaner on my clothes and in the end I threw them away. My camera was a more delicate job